Tuesday, February 3, 2009

World Peace

I recently turned to vegetarianism to show my concern for world peace. Its just one of the "isms" that i thought would help me contribute to world peace. This action was spurred not by terrorist attacks in Mumbai or the swearing in of Barack Obama. This started much earlier than that. Also strangely it coincided with my mom also quitting non-veg food. Her reasons may have been religious unlike mine but all the same both of us believed that the paths to our salvation lay in vegetarianism.

My idiosyncrasies were guided by lots of things, which i believed were the signs sent from the lord almighty himself. A movie, a professor, my sister, and a couple of more things that led me in the direction of vegetarianism. None of these reasons are spiritual, I don't know what brought it in me but i did it anyway. Somewhere, I read: Peace like Charity begins at home, so I did the right thing, perhaps.

Now, world peace means less terrorism, fewer border patrol, concern for humanity, saving of the rain forests, women rights, respect for individuals, tolerance for religions, equality for all, love for mankind. My little gesture is far from all this but doesn't that show that i care? Doesn't that show it makes a difference to me that i espouse the cause of all those noble laureates who win it for world peace. It is very hard to sit across a person relish the food you have eaten once but dare not touch again, lest it lure you back into the other "ism".

Why is that then that people think they should buy me out of finding my own salvation. Someone cooks meat specially for me, but wouldn't eating that mean that i give up on a belief that somethings can be changed? I do not think i can persuade anybody to stop killing, plus it would mean me persuading the butcher to stop earning his means of livelihood. Can i do that, should i do that? The answer to the latter may be yes but to the former may be not. I mean it would be as sinuous as asking the king to adopt a hermit's way just so you could inherit his wealth.

A friend says people wouldn't understand so i should stop trying; but have I tried everything that i could till now, that i should give it up? A question which sways me between "v-ism" and "nv-ism" . Or is it enough to say that

One thing / I don’t know why
It doesn’t even matter how hard you try
Keep that in mind / I designed this rhyme
To explain in due time
All I know
time is a valuable thing
Watch it fly by as the pendulum swings
Watch it count down to the end of the day
The clock ticks life away
It’s so unreal