Monday, December 22, 2008

Wondrous Wanton

There was so much that I wanted to write about. All of last year I kept thinking how I would have a moment to stop and I would start a blog...vent my anger on the numerous people I could barely even stand. But I guess that's all in the past and not just that it seems distant and fuzzy to remember it. Had I remembered it would have been quite a tale to tell. So any way I wrote some of it and then forgot about writing more..the diurnal chores kept me about and away from condensing my thoughts.

Its only now, after a marathon of 24 hours of sex and the city, that I was prompted to write again. Its incredulous that NY offers so much sex or that's an exaggeration of the director or the author (Candace Bushnell) was some kind of a sexaholic. How do these 4 women meet with each other quite often despite leading high powered lives, which also involves a great deal of sexual activity, for brunch day after day. There are these two men in Carrie's life which apparate and disapparate in her life- which is surprising since she woos them one after the other. Why would you do that if quintessentially you did not want to settle down or were this liberated.

This may prove to be an opening for something else altogether now. This is Pune not N.Y. and the question of commitment has come up in my discussions with many a people in the last fortnight despite the fact there are more pressing matters to be discussed! I have had conversations at 11 am, 4:30 pm and past midnight with different people; all from the same generation but distinctly different genres on this topic- is commitment disappearing?or is it relevant? All people, correction, most people I know are going out of their relationships these days. It is hard to understand if there has been a latent demand for it in the market and suppliers have only woken up to it now or monogamy is on its way out..everywhere

There is a guy who does it unashamedly and tells me it's for socializing/inter cultural ties (many of his partners have been from outside of this country), then there is this other one deceptively sweet looking but is doing somebody under the covers in a motel. I asked a third if this normal and he said the danger is for real. Apparently everybody is afraid of it happening to them but if 2 people agree then who are we to say. I have been blamed for being judgmental, but is it not true that if I don't there will be no rules in the society. And I say this even though I don't believe much in these rules anyway. It should not be a social stigma to be lascivious, polygamous, and all that but how many men and women want to live in harems? or want to be cheated upon? Is cheating limited to men, or women are a part of this equally?

No comments: